Save up to 92%

Ohio Newspapers

Akron Beacon Journal

The Akron Beacon Journal is a four-time Pulitzer Prize-winning morning newspaper in Akron, Ohio; It is the sole daily newspaper in Akron and is distributed throughout Northeast Ohio. The paper places a strong emphasis on local news and businesses, including industries historically tied to the area that are also well-covered, such as rubber and tire production. The Akron Beacon Journal is owned and published by Black Press Ltd., a Canadian company that owns over 100 newspapers, mainly weekly publications in British Columbia and Washington. The Beacon Journal is Black's only Eastern U.S. property and is the largest newspaper in the chain, which also includes the Honolulu Star-Advertiser and The San Francisco Examiner. Andrea Mathewson is the president and publisher replacing Ed Moss. Alton Brown Jr. is the Executive Vice President/General Manager.

Bucyrus Telegraph Forum

The Telegraph-Forum is the local news source for Crawford County and the surrounding area.

Chillicothe Gazette

Ohio's oldest newspaper, The Chillicothe Gazette, is published daily at Chillicothe, Ohio, the seat of Ross County, Ohio, and is owned by the Gannett Company. The Chillicothe Gazelle was founded as a weekly in Cincinnati, Ohio, then the capital of the Northwest Territory, November 9, 1793 as the Centinel of the Northwest Territory. It absconded to Chillicothe when the territorial government moved to that city around 1800. The paper was owned until the 1990s by Gannett, who then sold it to a group who in turn sold to The Thomson Corporation. When Thomson exited the newspaper business in the late 1990s, it was bought back again by Gannett Company.

Cincinnati Enquirer

On April 10, 1841, The Cincinnati Enquirer was first published. This publication became one of the first newspapers in the United States to publish a Sunday edition beginning on April 20, 1848. Around the 1850s, The Enquirer also published a weekly digest edition for regional farmers. Washington McLean, a Copperhead, owned the paper before the Civil War to 1881. The editorial policies led to the suppression of the paper by the United States government during the Civil War. After the war, McLean followed an anti-Republican stance. Lafcadio Hearn was one of his star writers, who wrote for the paper from 1872 to 1875. James W. Faulkner started was a newspaperman from the Enquirer who became the political correspondent for the paper covering the Ohio State Legislature and Statehouse from 1887 until his death. The Faulkner Letter was a well-known column often carried in regional newspapers. From 1881 to his death in 1916, it was run by his son, John Roll McLean. Mr. Mclean did not have faith in his only child, Ned, John Roll McLean, so he put the Enquirer and another paper he owned, The Washington Post, in trust with a Washington, D.C. bank as trustee. Ned successfully broke the trust regarding The Post, an action that led to its bankruptcy and eventual sale to Eugene Meyer in 1933. The Enquirer, however, continued to be held in trust until 1952.

Cleveland Plain Dealer

The Plain Dealer is Ohio's largest daily newspaper with nearly 800,000 readers daily, including the readers online. On Sunday, average readership jumps to nearly 1.0 million. The Plain Dealer's media market, Greater Cleveland, is ranked No. 1 in the country for Sunday newspaper readership percentage and No. 2 in daily newspaper readership percentage, second only to The New York Times in the weekday editions. Established in 1842, it is one of the few organizations that has been a part of the Cleveland landscape for over 165 years. The Plain Dealer has won awards in editorial, photographic and production excellence in local, state, regional and national competitions, as well as the Pulitzer Prize for distinguished commentary in 2005. Advertising, Editorial, Circulation Customer Service, Accounting, and other business-related divisions, along with executive offices are featured at the paper.

Columbus Dispatch

The Columbus Dispatch is a daily newspaper based in Columbus, Ohio. Its first issue was published on July 1, 1871 as The Daily Dispatch, and has been the only well known daily newspaper in the city since The Columbus Citizen-Journal stopped printing in 1985. The paper was initially an afternoon paper for the city of Columbus, Ohio. On April 2, 1888, the paper published its first full-page advertisement, for the Columbus Buggy Company. On December 17, 1899, the paper published its first Sunday edition. Two years later on March 3, 1901, the paper published its very first color comic strips. The paper, renamed The Columbus Evening Dispatch changed hands numerous times in its early years. In 1905, it was purchased by the Wolfe family. It is currently owned by Dispatch Printing Company (Wolfe Family). It is published by John F. Wolfe and edited by Benjamin Marrison. The paper?s headquarters are located at 34 South 3rd Street Columbus, Ohio 43215.

Coshocton Tribune

The Coshocton Tribune was founded in 1909 by a former teacher named William J. Bahmer. The Coshocton Tribune was independently owned until 1960, when it was sold to Thompson Newspapers. Gannett bought the paper in 2000.

Dayton Daily News

The Dayton Daily News is a daily newspaper published in Dayton, Ohio. It is a product of Cox Media Group Ohio, and integrated broadcasting, publishing, direct marketing and digital media company owned by parent company Cox Enterprises, which is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia. It is the flagship publication of Cox Media Group Ohio. The Daily News has its headquarters at the Cox Media Group Ohio Media Center at 1611 South Main Street in Dayton, OH and is located near the University of Dayton campus and suburban Oakwood. On August 15, 1898, James M. Cox purchased the Dayton Evening News. One week later, on August 22, 1898 he renamed it the Dayton Daily News. The paper was founded with the intention of pioneering a new type of journalism, keeping weak ties to politicians and advertisers while seeking objectivity and public advocacy as primary functions. These goals pushed the paper in the direction of valuing the public interest.

Fremont News Messenger

Fremont is a city in and the county seat of Sandusky County, Ohio, United States. Fremont's daily newspaper is The News-Messenger.

Hamilton Journal-News

Hamilton Journal News is a daily newspaper based in Hamilton, Ohio and owned by Cox Enterprises. The paper covers news, politics, local events, entertainment, and sports in Hamilton and outlying areas. The Hamilton Journal News has been bringing award-winning news and information to readers in the Hamilton area since 1886. More than once it has been named Best Newspaper in Ohio by The Ohio Society of Professional Journalists for its circulation. The Journal News averages 17,481 on weekdays and 20,032 on Sundays. The paper has also received First Place General Excellence Award by the Associated Press. The Hamilton Journal News shares staff and resources with other Cox newspapers in the area, including The Pulse-Journal in Mason, and the Middletown, in Middletown, Ohio.

Lancaster Eagle-Gazette

Based out of Lancaster, Ohio, The Lancaster Eagle-Gazette is a newspaper owned by Gannett.

Lorain Morning Journal

The Lorain Morning Journal is owned by a larger agency called the Journal Register Company. They produce newspapers that are distributed in 992 communities and ten states. The Lorain Morning Journal also called the Morning Journal and serves the wider area of Lorain, Erie, and Huron counties as well as the western Cleveland suburbs. The area is commonly called the Golden Crescent. It started as an afternoon newspaper but switched in the 1980's to a morning newspaper.

Mansfield News Journal

Serving Richland, Ashland and Crawford counties, as well as parts of Morrow, Knox and Huron counties in the north central part of the state, The Mansfield News Journal is a daily newspaper based in Mansfield, Ohio. In 1932 The News Journal was formed with the merger of the Mansfield News and the Mansfield Journal. The paper celebrated its 75th anniversary in December 2007.

Marion Star

The Marion Star (formerly known as The Marion Daily Star) is a newspaper in Marion, Ohio. The paper is owned by the Gannett Newspaper organization, the paper is also notable as having once been owned and published by Warren G. Harding and his wife Florence Kling Harding. Founded as the Daily Pebble, the format of the small daily grew and became The Marion Daily Star. Under Harding the newspaper's editorial position leaned toward the Republican Party platform, but remained somewhat neutral because of its position of the daily newspaper of record for Marion County. Tom Graser is the current editor of the Marion Star. The papers headquarters is located in Marion at 150 Court Street Marion, Ohio 43302. It has an average daily circulation of 13,929 in the Afternoon on weekdays and 13,790 on Sundays.

Newark Advocate

In 1820, a 22-year-old local resident named Benjamin Briggs printed the first issue of the Newark Advocate in a wooden stilt shanty over a frog pond on the west side of what is now Newark's downtown square. Briggs, plagued with start-up problems, could only publish three issues in his first five months in business. However, within a year, he was publishing a four-page, four-column paper with the first page devoted to foreign news composed mostly of letters from other papers. During the middle of the century, the paper was a weekly edition, and served as an important regional news source during the American Civil War. In March 1882, the Advocate was sold to John A. Caldwell and soon became a daily newspaper. The local daily newspaper of Newark, Ohio is called The Newark Advocate and serves the general Licking County region. The Newark Advocate was purchased by the Gannett family of newspapers and periodicals since 2000. The Advocate is the last remaining daily newspaper in Newark, outlasting early Newark newspapers (all now defunct) included the Newark Weekly American, Newark Leader, and Newark American Tribune.

Port Clinton News Herald

The News Herald is the local news source for Port Clinton, Ottawa County and the surrounding area.

Springfield News-Sun

The Springfield News-Sun is a daily newspaper published in Springfield, Ohio, by Cox Enterprises, which also publishes the Dayton Daily News. Both newspapers contain similar editorial content, but tailor their local news coverage to the area the paper is distributed in. The News-Sun primarily serves Springfield and Urbana, in southwestern Ohio. Springfield’s daily newspaper has been serving residents of Clark and Champaign counties since 1817. The News-Sun is a winner of nearly 100 Ohio Associated Press Awards including a General Excellence Award from Ohio Associated Press. The News-Sun features local and national news, local and national sports, classifieds and more.

Toledo Blade

The Blade is a daily newspaper in Toledo, Ohio, in the United States, first published on December 19, 1835. David Ross Locke gained national fame for the paper during the Civil War era by writing under the pen name Petroleum V. Nasby. Writing under the pen name, Locke wrote satires ranging on topics from slavery to the Civil War to temperance. In 1867 Locke bought The Blade. In 2004 The Blade won the Pulitzer Prize for Investigative Reporting with a series of stories entitled "Buried Secrets, Brutal Truths". . In 2006, The Blade was a finalist for a Pulitzer Prize, and winner of the National Headliner Award, for breaking the scandal in Ohio known as Coingate. Its current editor in chief is John Robinson Block, whose family purchased the paper in 1926. The Blade has the 83rd largest daily newspaper circulation in the United States. On a daily basis, the circulation averages 119,901 and 141,141 on Sundays. It is owned by Block Communications and edited by Ron Royhab.

Willoughby News-Herald

Serving Lake, Geauga and Ashtabula Counties as well as a section of eastern Cuyahoga County, the News-Herald is a newspaper distributed in the northeastern portion of Greater Cleveland, Ohio, United States. The News-Herald began on April 18, 1879 as the Willoughby Independent and was renamed the Willoughby Republican in 1920, and became the Lake County News-Herald in 1935. Its offices moved from downtown Willoughby to 38879 Mentor Avenue (U.S. Route 20) in 1950, then to its current location, 7085 Mentor Avenue, adjacent to Mentor, after 1973

Zanesville Times Recorder

The Zanesville Times Recorder is a newspaper owned by the Gannett Company and serves the Zanesville Ohio area. In 2012, The Zanesville Times Recorder changed their subscription model to include full access to their online content. That means you can access their content in print and it includes full access to all online content.