Massachusetts Newspapers

Cape Cod Times

The Cape Cod Times is a daily newspaper serving Cape, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket, Massachusetts. It is owned by the Dow Jones Local Media Group. The paper was first published by J.P. Dunn, Joshua Barber, and Basil Brewer in 1936 as the Cape Cod Standard-Times. It was first published as an independent daily for Cape Cod in 1971 and renamed the Cape Cod Times in 1975. Business activity on the Cape were growing at an exponential rate suggested that readers and commercial supporters would support an independent daily newspaper for Cape Cod. In 1970, the decision was made to break away and the new daily Cape Cod Standard-Times was born. The Cape Cod Times came into existence in 1975 to eliminate the impression that the Cape Cod Times was still associated with the New Bedford paper. Headquarters are located at 319 Main Street Hyannis, Massachusetts 02601. The Cape Cod Times distributes 35,776 daily and 39,970 on Sundays.

Quincy Patriot Ledger

The Quincy Patriot Ledger was founded on January 7, 1837, by John Adams Green and Edmund Butler Osborne. In 1899, Prescott started The Quincy Daily Ledger, continuing The Patriot as a weekly. In 1916, the weekly and daily were merged into The Quincy Patriot Ledger. The paper later expanded to serve communities throughout the South Shore. It was the hometown paper of President John Quincy Adams, a frequent writer of letters to the editor after he left the White House and became a congressman. The longest-running family ownership began in 1852 when George Washington Prescott went to work for the paper as a carrier. He later bought the newspaper. Prescott was a descendant of Col. William Prescott, who won fame at the Revolutionary War Battle of Bunker Hill with his order: "Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes."

Springfield Republican

Established by Samuel Bowles II in 1824 as a rural weekly, the Springfield Republican was converted into a daily in 1844. The Republican is a newspaper in Springfield, Massachusetts. It is owned by Newhouse Newspapers, a division of Advance Publications. It played important roles in the United States Republican Party's founding, Charles Dow's career, and the invention of the pronoun "Ms." From the beginning; the paper had a focus on local news. As rapidly as possible its news-gathering was extended until within a few years its columns contained departments of items from every town and hamlet along the Connecticut Valley, as well as from Springfield. Bowles III believed that the newspaper should be a power in the moral, religious, and literary, as well as the political life of the community, and he tried to make his paper fulfill those functions.  The Republican became part of two other local papers. The Springfield Daily News and the Morning Union merged in the 1970s. The newspaper was formerly known as The Springfield Union News & Sunday Republican. The newspaper reverted to its historical, pre-Union-News name of The Republican around 2001. George Arwady became publisher of The Springfield Republican on December 31, 2009.

Worcester Telegram & Gazette

The Telegram & Gazette is Worcester, Massachusetts's sole daily newspaper. The paper, known to the local community as the Telegram, is published every day by the Worcester Telegram & Gazette Corporation, a fully owned subsidiary of The New York Times Company. It provides coverage of all of Worcester County, as well as surrounding areas of the western suburbs of Boston, Western Massachusetts, and numerous towns in Windham County in northeastern Connecticut. The Worcester Telegram, a morning newspaper, and the Evening Gazette, an evening paper, were separate papers with separate editorial staff until the 1980?s. The two papers merged into one paper, Telegram & Gazette, upon their purchase by Chronicle Publishing Company, publishers of the San Francisco Chronicle, in 1986. The Telegram & Gazette have a daily circulation of 74, 563, a Saturday circulation of 70,805, and a Sunday circulation of 79,958 to their subscribers as of 2012.